Re: Current CVS has strange parser for float type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Current CVS has strange parser for float type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 23:34, Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>> wow=# select 5.3::float;
>> ERROR:  Bad float8 input format '5.3'
> Could it be something with locales ?

Oooh, bingo!  On HPUX:

regression=# select 5.3::float;float8
--------   5.3
(1 row)

regression=# set lc_numeric = 'de_DE.iso88591';
SET
regression=# select 5.3::float;
ERROR:  Bad float8 input format '5.3'

I think this is a consequence of the changes made a little while back
(by Peter IIRC?) in locale handling.  It used to be that we deliberately
did *not* allow any LC_ setting except LC_MESSAGES to actually take
effect globally in the backend, and this sort of problem is exactly
why.  I think we need to revert some aspects of that change.

Bruce, this is a "must fix" open item ...