Re: operator exclusion constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: operator exclusion constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 10:50 -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> Is your objection to EXCLUDE for cases when there is no USING clause?
>
>      EXLUDE (room, during) BY (=, &&)

"Objection" is too strong a word. EXCLUDE is a transitive verb, so it's
slightly confusing in the above case.

> BTW, is it the case that room maps to = and during maps to && in this
> example? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to combine them?
>
>      EXCLUSION (room WITH =, during WITH &&)

That's (close to) the current syntax, which I'm perfectly fine with.
Form 1 with EXCLUSION/CHECK WITH is the current syntax.

It seemed like the winds were shifting towards separating them, but I'm
happy leaving it alone.

Regards,Jeff Davis