Re: In-place conversion of type bool - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject Re: In-place conversion of type bool
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

> "Joost Kraaijeveld" <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> writes:
> > The database says that it's bool implementation is char(1), just as
> > PostgreSQL does. I can copy te data OK, but I would like to change the
> > actual type of the column from char(1) to bool. Is that possible without
> > copying the column to a temporary column, dropping the old column and
> > renaming the temporary columns to the old column?
>
> ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN TYPE might help you.  Use the USING clause
> if you need a non-default data conversion -- in this case it might look
> like USING (col = '1') or some such.

ALTER TABLE odbcdest ALTER COLUMN odbc_bool TYPE bool

gives:

ERROR:  column "odbc_bool" cannot be cast to type "bool"

********** Error **********

ERROR: column "odbc_bool" cannot be cast to type "bool"
SQL state: 42804

> (This is probably not physically more efficient than making a temp
> table, however.)

Could you elaborate on this? I have tried something like this, but when
the column in question is a column that is used in foreign keys I am
forced to drop any foreign keys that point to this column. Which is quit
annoying on a 200 table database with lots of foreign keys.

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld