Re: In-place conversion of type bool - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: In-place conversion of type bool
Date
List pgsql-general
"Joost Kraaijeveld" <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> writes:
> The database says that it's bool implementation is char(1), just as
> PostgreSQL does. I can copy te data OK, but I would like to change the
> actual type of the column from char(1) to bool. Is that possible without
> copying the column to a temporary column, dropping the old column and
> renaming the temporary columns to the old column?

ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN TYPE might help you.  Use the USING clause
if you need a non-default data conversion -- in this case it might look
like USING (col = '1') or some such.

(This is probably not physically more efficient than making a temp
table, however.)

            regards, tom lane