Re: pg_dump object sorting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: pg_dump object sorting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 11:18 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I have been looking at refining the sorting of objects in pg_dump to
> make it take advantage of buffering and synchronised scanning, and
> possibly make parallel restoration simpler and more efficient.

Synchronized scanning is explicitly disabled in pg_dump. That was a
last-minute change to answer Greg Stark's complaint about dumping a
clustered table:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00987.php

That hopefully won't be a permanent solution, because I think
synchronized scans are useful for pg_dump.

However, I'm not clear on how the pg_dump order would be able to better
take advantage of synchronized scans anyway. What did you have in mind?

Regards,Jeff Davis