pg_dump object sorting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject pg_dump object sorting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have been looking at refining the sorting of objects in pg_dump to
make it take advantage of buffering and synchronised scanning, and
possibly make parallel restoration simpler and more efficient.

My first thought was to sort indexes by <namespace, tablename,
indexname> instead of by <namespace, indexname>. However, that doesn't
go far enough, I think. Is there any reason we can't do all of a table's
indexes and non-FK constraints together? Will that affect anything other
than PK and UNIQUE constraints, as NULL and CHECK constraints are
included in table definitions?

cheers

andrew