AW: update on TOAST status' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: update on TOAST status'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Philip Warner wrote:
> > At 14:02 11/07/00 +0200, Jan Wieck wrote:
> > >    AFAICS, we need to detoast values for index  inserts  allways
> > >    and  have  another toaster inside the index access methods at
> > >    some day.
> >
> > We might not need it...at least not in the furst pass.
>
>     The  thing  is  actually  broken  and needs a fix. As soon as
>     "text" is toastable, it can happen everywhere  that  text  is
>     toasted  even  if it's actual plain value would perfectly fit
>     into an index tuple. Think of a table with 20  text  columns,
>     where  the  indexed  one  has  a  1024 bytes value, while all
>     others hold 512 bytes. In that case, the indexed one  is  the
>     biggest  and  get's  toasted first. And if all the data is of
>     nature that compression doesn't gain enough, it  might  still
>     be the biggest one after that step and will be considered for
>     move off ... boom.
>
>     We can't let this in in the first pass!

Have you added a minimum size for a value to actually be considered
for toasting ? Imho some lower border between 64 and 256 bytes per value
would be useful, not only the row size.

Imho the same logic should apply to choose wheather a fixed (max) size
column
qualifys for toasting (e.g. varchar(32) should never qualify for toasting)

Andreas