Re: AW: update on TOAST status' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: AW: update on TOAST status'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> > Philip Warner wrote:
> > >
> > > We might not need it...at least not in the furst pass.
> >
> >     The  thing  is  actually  broken  and needs a fix. As soon as
> >     "text" is toastable, it can happen everywhere  that  text  is
> >     toasted  even  if it's actual plain value would perfectly fit
> >     into an index tuple. Think of a table with 20  text  columns,
> >     where  the  indexed  one  has  a  1024 bytes value, while all
> >     others hold 512 bytes. In that case, the indexed one  is  the
> >     biggest  and  get's  toasted first. And if all the data is of
> >     nature that compression doesn't gain enough, it  might  still
> >     be the biggest one after that step and will be considered for
> >     move off ... boom.
> >
> >     We can't let this in in the first pass!
>
> Have you added a minimum size for a value to actually be considered
> for toasting ? Imho some lower border between 64 and 256 bytes per value
> would be useful, not only the row size.
>
> Imho the same logic should apply to choose wheather a fixed (max) size
> column
> qualifys for toasting (e.g. varchar(32) should never qualify for toasting)
   The toaster simply tries to keep all heap tuples smaller than   2K (MaxTupleSize / 4). It does so by  first
compressing all   compressable  ones, then moving off.  Both steps allways pick   the attributes in descending size
order.
   It does not know anything about indices  (and  that  wouldn't   help either because indices could be created later
asdone in   every dump).

Jan