Re: "errno" not set in case of "libm" functions (HPUX) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "errno" not set in case of "libm" functions (HPUX)
Date
Re: "errno" not set in case of "libm" functions (HPUX)  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar.ahmad@gmail.com> writes:
> I have found a problem which is specifically related to  "HP-UX" compiler.
> All 'libm' functions on "HP-UX Integrity server" do not set "errno" by
> default. For 'errno' setting we should compile the code using +Olibmerrno
> option. So we should add this option in "/src/makefiles/Makefile.hpux".

This patch will break things on my admittedly rather ancient HPUX box:

$ cc +Olibmerrno
cc: warning 450: Unrecognized option +Olibmerrno.

As submitted, it would also break gcc-based builds, though that at least
wouldn't be hard to fix.

If you want to submit a configure patch to test whether the switch is
appropriate, we could consider it.

BTW, is it really true that HP decided they could make the compiler's
default behavior violate the C standard so flagrantly?  I could believe
offering a switch that you had to specify to save a few cycles at the
cost of nonstandard behavior; but if your report is actually correct,
their engineering standards have gone way downhill since I worked there.
I wonder whether you are inserting some other nonstandard switch that
turns on this effect.