Re: "errno" not set in case of "libm" functions (HPUX) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: "errno" not set in case of "libm" functions (HPUX)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 05/24/2011 01:44 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ibrar Ahmed<ibrar.ahmad@gmail.com>  writes:
>> I have found a problem which is specifically related to  "HP-UX" compiler.
>> All 'libm' functions on "HP-UX Integrity server" do not set "errno" by
>> default. For 'errno' setting we should compile the code using +Olibmerrno
>> option. So we should add this option in "/src/makefiles/Makefile.hpux".
> This patch will break things on my admittedly rather ancient HPUX box:
>
> $ cc +Olibmerrno
> cc: warning 450: Unrecognized option +Olibmerrno.
>
> As submitted, it would also break gcc-based builds, though that at least
> wouldn't be hard to fix.
>
> If you want to submit a configure patch to test whether the switch is
> appropriate, we could consider it.
>
> BTW, is it really true that HP decided they could make the compiler's
> default behavior violate the C standard so flagrantly?  I could believe
> offering a switch that you had to specify to save a few cycles at the
> cost of nonstandard behavior; but if your report is actually correct,
> their engineering standards have gone way downhill since I worked there.
> I wonder whether you are inserting some other nonstandard switch that
> turns on this effect.

I have been whining for years about the lack of HP-UX support (both for
gcc and their compiler) on the buildfarm. I really really wish HP would
come to the party and supply some equipment and software. Failing that,
some spare cycles being made available on a machine by someone else who
runs it would be good.

cheers

andrew