Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs
Date
Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Joel Jacobson" <joel@compiler.org> writes:
> I ran this query (on a patched database) to see if there are still any catalog tables without primary keys:
> pg_depend
> pg_shdepend

Yeah, this is noted in the patch's own regression tests.

> Wouldn't it be possible to add primary keys to these two as well?

Neither of the existing indexes is suitable, not being unique.

We could imagine adding a unique index across the whole column set,
but that would be an awfully large price to pay for neatnik-ism.
Also, at least for pg_depend (less sure about pg_shdepend), some code
cleanup would be required, because I don't think that we try very
hard to avoid making duplicate dependency entries.  On the whole
I feel this'd be counterproductive.