Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joel Jacobson
Subject Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Many thanks for excellent work!

I've tested the patch successfully.

I ran this query (on a patched database) to see if there are still any catalog tables without primary keys:

SELECT
  table_name
FROM information_schema.tables
WHERE table_schema = 'pg_catalog'
AND table_type = 'BASE TABLE'
EXCEPT
SELECT
  table_constraints.table_name
FROM information_schema.table_constraints
JOIN information_schema.key_column_usage
  ON key_column_usage.constraint_name = table_constraints.constraint_name
WHERE table_constraints.table_schema = 'pg_catalog'
AND table_constraints.constraint_type = 'PRIMARY KEY'

table_name
-------------
pg_depend
pg_shdepend
(2 rows)

Wouldn't it be possible to add primary keys to these two as well?

It would need to be multi-column primary keys, but should be ok
since we have that for other catalogs?

/Joel

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021, at 18:15, Tom Lane wrote:
> On 2021-01-17 23:07, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I've reviewed this patch.  It looks pretty solid to me, with a couple
>> trivial nits as mentioned below, and one bigger thing that's perhaps
>> in the category of bikeshedding.  Namely, do we really want to prefer
>> using the OID indexes as the primary keys?

> I chose this because the notional foreign keys point to the OID.
> If you design some basic business database with customer IDs, product
> IDs, etc., you'd also usually make the ID the primary key, even if you
> have, say, a unique constraint on the product name.  But this is of
> course a matter of taste to some degree.

Fair enough.  As I said upthread, I just wanted to be sure we'd considered
the alternative.  I'm content to use the OIDs as pkeys, although I think
that decision should be explicitly recorded somewhere (cf attachment).

>> The contents of system_constraints.sql seem pretty randomly ordered,
>> and I bet the order isn't stable across machines.

> They follow the order in which the catalogs are processed byt genbki.pl.

Looking closer, I see the data structure is an array not a hash, so
I withdraw the concern about instability.

After reading the patch again, I have a couple more nits about comments,
which I'll just present as a proposed delta patch.  Otherwise it's good.
I'll mark it RFC.