Re: CTAS command tags - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CTAS command tags
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se> writes:
> On 1/22/21 2:19 PM, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
>> Having row count right away is very useful in CTAS in analytical and GIS
>> usage scenarios.

> I can see that, but would it not work if it was:
> CREATE TABLE AS 1

Changing the set of command tags that have counts attached would amount
to a wire-protocol break, because clients such as libpq know which ones
do.  So to standardize this as Vik wants, we'd have to make the WITH
NO DATA case return "SELECT 0" (not 1, surely).  That seems a little
weird.

I have a vague recollection that this has been discussed before,
though I lack the energy to go digging in the archives right now.