Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 08:05, Wes Williams wrote:
> Still, at least Oracle 10g provides for an easy GUI from which to configure
> and perform imports and exports of data.  Some of use have need for a
> database that can dump all data and accept another series of new data...only
> to be dropped again in a few days.  The GUI tools make this MUCH easier -
> especially when dealing with many different types of tables and data
> formats.
>
>     The GUI file import/export is one feature I would love to see next to
> enhance pgAdmin III!

However, on the command line, the polarity is reversed (vague Star Trek
reference there) and PostgreSQL enjoys a MUCH richer and easier to use
set of utilities.  I find psql to be much much easier to drive than
oracle's SQL*PLus, which makes my head hurt.

And I can't use a GUI for at least half of what I work on for security
and networking reasons, so I have to have decent command line tools.

I know for many GUI folks the command line seems a cold and forboding
place, and god only knows that if you've ever been forced to use
Oracle's command line tools, the scarring may be permanent, but
honestly, do yourself a favor and spend an afternoon becoming familiar
with psql.  It's absolutely fantastic.  Far and away the best command
line interface of any database I've ever used, and one of the best
selling points of postgresql.

Between the \? listing of \ commands, and the \h listing of SQL
commands, it has all the documentation right there at your fingertips.