Re: PostgresSQL vs. Firebird - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris Mair
Subject Re: PostgresSQL vs. Firebird
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 00:19 -0700, Relaxin wrote:
> Before I ask, I don't want to start a war.
>
> Can someone here give me an honest opinion of how PostgresSQL (PG) is better
> than Firebird on Windows?

A colleague of mine has made some benchmarks using those two:
http://www.1006.org/pg/postgresql_firebird_win_linux.pdf

He benchmarked inserts done through *his* own Delphi code varying a few
parameters. The servers run on Windows in all tests. The clients
were on Windows or Linux.

The summary is that PG beats FB performance-wise in all tests except
when you do many small transactions (autocommit on) with fsync on.

Bye, Chris.