PostgresSQL vs. Firebird

From
"Relaxin"
Date:
Before I ask, I don't want to start a war.

Can someone here give me an honest opinion of how PostgresSQL (PG) is better
than Firebird on Windows?

I've just recently started reading the Firebird NG and a poster over there
has brought up some serious issues with Firebird, but they seem to not take
the issues seriously.

I first wanted to go with Firebird for 2 reasons...

Very easy to configure and very easy to install.
I assumed that the database worked ok, but I'm not so sure now.

So, I've decided to give PG a try...I've downloaded it, but haven't
installed it yet.

So any provable information that you can provide as to why/how PG is
better/faster/easier/reliable than Firebird would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: PostgresSQL vs. Firebird

From
Chris Mair
Date:
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 00:19 -0700, Relaxin wrote:
> Before I ask, I don't want to start a war.
>
> Can someone here give me an honest opinion of how PostgresSQL (PG) is better
> than Firebird on Windows?

A colleague of mine has made some benchmarks using those two:
http://www.1006.org/pg/postgresql_firebird_win_linux.pdf

He benchmarked inserts done through *his* own Delphi code varying a few
parameters. The servers run on Windows in all tests. The clients
were on Windows or Linux.

The summary is that PG beats FB performance-wise in all tests except
when you do many small transactions (autocommit on) with fsync on.

Bye, Chris.