Re: Multiple databases on seperate drives/file systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scot L. Harris
Subject Re: Multiple databases on seperate drives/file systems?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 10:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> Depends which startup script you are using.  I know that up till
> recently the Red Hat init script did
>
>     su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "pg_ctl start ..."
>
> and because it forced /bin/sh, anything you might have put in say
> ~postgres/.bash_profile wouldn't get read.  You can just take out
> that -s switch though.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Thanks for the pointer.

The startup script in /etc/init.d does have the su  line as you describe
above.  On RH8 it appears that /bin/sh is linked to /bin/bash.  So does
the shell being executed not look at the .bash_profile since it was
invoked as /bin/sh?

Or can I just put the PGDATA2 environment variable in a .profile file?

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@cfl.rr.com>