Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for
Date
Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 14:04, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh:
>
> > Odd.   I was told by an Abiword person in November that the money was never
> > returned; I will contact them to clarify.
>
> OK, clarified: what Marc had *meant* was that Paypal did not cough up (or
> event respond to e-mails or faxes) until the Abiword theft story got
> slashdotted.
>
> Still doesn't really improve my impression of PayPal ....
>
> This is similar to a discussion we had on OpenOffice.org regarding Kazaa.
> Kazaa had offered to let the OOo 1.0 distribution be a free pilot for their
> "Kazaa Gold" service.   We discussed it, and decided that participating in
> this program would be effectively putting OOo's "stamp of approval" on
> Kazaa's whole business model, of which we were not fond, and declined.

Help me out here... what's your perceived difference between kazaa and
bittorrent?

> For similar reasons, I would not favor setting up a donations account through
> PayPal.   However unlikely it is that PG would come to harm through PayPal,
> the company has not changed its customer-abusive written policies and I would
> not want to do anything that would encourage more people signing up with
> them.

yeesh... given that AbiWord themselves still use paypal for donations
(http://www.abisource.com/information/news/donation-abiword.phtml) I
think that folks who avoid paypal based on that incident are off the
mark.  Not saying there aren't a lot of other reasons you might want to
avoid using them, but if they're good enough for Abiword....

Robert Treat