Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004
Date
Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for
Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh:

> Odd.   I was told by an Abiword person in November that the money was never
> returned; I will contact them to clarify.

OK, clarified: what Marc had *meant* was that Paypal did not cough up (or
event respond to e-mails or faxes) until the Abiword theft story got
slashdotted.

Still doesn't really improve my impression of PayPal ....

This is similar to a discussion we had on OpenOffice.org regarding Kazaa.
Kazaa had offered to let the OOo 1.0 distribution be a free pilot for their
"Kazaa Gold" service.   We discussed it, and decided that participating in
this program would be effectively putting OOo's "stamp of approval" on
Kazaa's whole business model, of which we were not fond, and declined.

For similar reasons, I would not favor setting up a donations account through
PayPal.   However unlikely it is that PG would come to harm through PayPal,
the company has not changed its customer-abusive written policies and I would
not want to do anything that would encourage more people signing up with
them.

Of course, I could be outvoted ....

--
-Josh Berkus