Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting DeJuan Jackson <djackson@speedfc.com>:

> B. van Ouwerkerk wrote:
>
> > IMO there's no valid reason for MySQL bashing. I'm not going to defend
> > either one because that kind of discussion leads to nowhere.
>
> How about pure entertainment?  Or maybe because we don't have anything
> better to do on a Friday night because the one girl this year who
> actually said she would go out with us has stood us up?  But were not
> bitter at all at that slut and she uses MySQL I just no it, I bet she's
> using it right now and laughing... LAUGHING at me...
>
> See it can be very therapeutic :)

LOL- yea, that was actually!

Seriously though- another sub-text of this thread **is** defending how MySQL
documentation is "better" than PostgreSQL's.  Of course many have responded with
various opinions as to why it is not "better".

I personally don't see much weight in the arguement because comparisons by
nature are subjective.  There's everyone from the person whose has just heard
what SQL stands for to the person that can receit the specifications.  Couple
that with the fact that MySQL just isn't on the same level yet to be making the
comparison and what you have is a bit of a mess.

I'm not sure how this "mess" gets cleaned up but like Tom indicated earlier in
this thread, this is open source so if you want something done that is not so
high up on the list, you're probably going to have to do it yourself or at least
in a smaller group.

It seems for the MySQL folks (which I was for a very short time) I would say
that a study of SQL itself might be warranted.  It just really is not
appropriate to duplicate the basics for which there is a tremendous amount of
information online already  You should not have a problem finding something that
you like.

I learned PG by studying SQL and finding some examples/tutorials online and at
first trying them in mSQL, MySQL (which was difficult because it wasn't very
standard) and later in PostgreSQL.  Once I understood SQL and actually played
around with some products I found having a reference (like PG's docs) to be my
bible.  Those of you who are new to the product don't realize have far the docs
have come from the 6.x days nor does it really matter to you when you need a
question answered at 2am.  Thats the rub!.  If you have grown with one culture,
you really can't come to another one and expect to be at the same point.  In a
sense you have to start over but with your mind open to a new way of doing things.

This is very similar to how people dissatified with M$ come over to Linux or the
Mac world.  They are very anxious to do away with the old and get on with the
new.  The problem is that they forget there is a learning curve- easier or hard.
 Lets face it, a lot of people don't like to "learn" so if something new is not
"easy" to do in the long run it won't go far.  Just look how new products are
marketed on TV.  Not to say that that is the right way to do things- just to say
that it is done.  This is always going to be a the balancing act for good
products- marketability vs. functionality

I apologize now if this seems like a dig at MySQL users- it truely is not but I
do get the sense that the issue with PG is really more an issue with
understanding SQL and RDBMS' in general.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: