Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Harris
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Having worked with both MySQL and Postgresql, there is one thing that most
people overlook with all the hoopla about new features in MySQL.  One that I
find impacts my clients and helps with their decision to move to Postgresql.
When using the new features on OLD MySQL databases, most of the time this means
a major coversion.  You can't use the old "MyISAM" tables, you have to add the
new features, use their new Innodb table structure, and write all the stuff
anyway.  Add in the table redesign, and normalization that didn't happen
originally and the decision about the database becomes a business decision, not
a political argumen. My argument at that point is, "Postgresql was designed to
do those things, they are not 'added features'.  They are new to MySQL and
since you have to re-write anyway..."

So far, the clients have chosen Postgresql.  Many of them are frustrated with
the lack of features in MySQL and simply are ready to move for the right
reasons.  MySQL is great for a simple, fast, list manager, but once you start
needing constraints, functions, or any other 'normal' database features it
falls apart.  I think the Postgresql team is doing well, they focus on
Postgresql, not what MySQL might do.

I say keep up the good work!
--
Ken Harris