Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Martin Marques wrote:
> El Vie 26 Dic 2003 11:09, Sai Hertz And Control Systems escribió:
>>Their was a huge rore about MySQL recently for something in java functions
>>now theirs one more
>>http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/News-5.0.x.html
>>Does this concern anyone.
>>What I think is PostgreSQL would have less USP's (Uniqe Selling Points
>>though we dont sell) now.
>>What do you think yes we PostgreSQL users need some introspection.
  > 1) This is in the 5.0.0 development tree, which could come out around.....
> lets say 2 years maybe?
> 2) Stored Procedures with those features are already in PG long time ago, and
> are getting optimized every new release.

Well, let's consolidate few points so as to save us some energy.

1. As a open source project, competition is no threat to postgresql. If mysql is
gaining, fine for that that community.

2. Mysql has long way to go to be on par with postgresql. The differences are
known and wildly documented. Meanwhile postgresql project will continue to fix
bugs, add features and attempt to be better with every next release. Of course,
this is business as usual.

3. If mysql works for you and is the best tool for the job, use it. but don't
forget to evaluate latest postgresql release at least once an year.

I think that covers most of the sensible points that can come up in such a
discussion..What say?

  Shridhar