Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Benoit
Subject Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3
Date
List pgsql-general
It's simply a matter of file system performance, take a look at the
below URL to get a better idea:

http://fsbench.netnation.com/

EXT2 is fast, but like other people mentioned, FSCK'ing a large
partition could mean hours of downtime. There are other file systems
that offer journaling as well as decent performance. As far as EXT3 is
concerned, its near the bottom of the performance list.

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 07:00, Carmen Wai wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I would like to know whether there is any different in installing Postgresql
> on the Linux system with file system of EXT2 or EXT3. I have two machines
> with idential OS (Red Hat 7.3 install with postgresql 7.3.4) but with
> different file system, 1 is EXT2 and the other is EXT3. When I insert 10,000
> records to the two machines, I found that the machine with EXT2 insert much
> quicker than the other with EXT3.
>
> Is postgresqk perform better with EXT2 file system?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Carmen

> Linguaphone :  Learning English? Get Japanese lessons for FREE
> http://go.msnserver.com/HK/30476.asp

Best Regards,

Mike Benoit