Re: 7.3.4 and 7.4 ORDER in queries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: 7.3.4 and 7.4 ORDER in queries
Date
List pgsql-general
javier garcia - CEBAS writes:

> I've just installed postgres7.4 and have realized tat the order of rows in
> queries in different to that in 7.3.4. It seems that previously it was more
> logic, ordering by the first column, then by the second,... by default.
> At least this is so in a couple of queries I have. And now I have to
> explicitly say the order I want.

Unless you specify ORDER BY explicitly, the order is completely random.
In practice, it depends on the order of the rows on disk and the query
execution plan, but those are implementation details that may change over
time.  If you need a particular order, you need to say so.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net