Re: PGSQL on shared hosting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: PGSQL on shared hosting
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>:

> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 04:41, Holger Klawitter wrote:
> >
> > Am Friday 21 November 2003 09:49 schrieben Sie:
> > >
> > > No. The "make install" step requires a root access.
> >
> > Wrong! If you install into a writeable directory e.g.
> >   ./configure --prefix=/home/user/postgres
> > make install will work just fine (or at least it did with me).
> >
> > The only problem is that you cannot start postgres automatially that easily
> at
> > boot time.
> >

> A bit hackey, but you could write a cronjob to check for postmaster.pid
> every few minutes and start postmaster if it does not exist. (assumes
> your provider gives you cron access along with those software compiling
> privileges). this wouldnt give you an at boot time start, but at least a
> shortly after boot time start. you'd need to make that script behave
> properly after system crash too.
>
> Robert Treat
> --
> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

An even more basic question is what is the hosters policy on users running their
own servers.

I've got clients that do but only after they are granted permission to do so.
Having clients run they own servers as administratively not a good idea since
thing can very quick get our of control if you don't know what is running.
'Course these days you can tune your kernel and shell parameters to minimize
that.  Still, I would ask first to see if maybe they'll install it system-wide
first...

<shameless-plug>

As previously mentioned you could just go with an ISP that has already been
running PostgreSQL for some time.  I've notice quite a few service providers on
the list.  Some are probably listed on techdocs but I noticed my entry hasn't
shown up yet.

</shameless-plug>

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.