Re: [GENERAL] configure can't find libcrypto on MacOS Sierra for pg 9.6.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] configure can't find libcrypto on MacOS Sierra for pg 9.6.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello, I am trying to build pg 9.6.2 on my MacOS Sierra but
> configure is being balky

Hmm, I'm not really sure why it's failing at that step --- it gets past
that for me.  Possibly looking into config.log to see if there's a more
detailed error report would be illuminating.  However, trying to build
against Apple's openssl libraries is a lost cause anyway, because they
removed the header files in Sierra.  So it will fail when it gets to
header file checks; where it stops for me is

checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
configure: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for OpenSSL

AFAIK the only way forward is to install a complete OpenSSL installation
from source, or using MacPorts or brew or other tool-of-choice.

Apple would really like people to start using their SSL infrastructure.
That handwriting has been on the wall for years, but nobody's gotten
around to writing the necessary interface logic for Postgres.

            regards, tom lane