[GENERAL] configure can't find libcrypto on MacOS Sierra for pg 9.6.2

From
Jerry LeVan
Date:
Hello, I am trying to build pg 9.6.2 on my MacOS Sierra but
configure is being balky

configure:9494: checking for CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto
configure:9519: gcc -o conftest -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels
-Wmissing-for
mat-attribute -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -Wno-unused-command-line-argument -O2     conftest.c
-lcrypto -lz -ledi
t -lm  >&5
ld: library not found for -lcrypto
configure:9519: $? = 1

but libcrypto is present:
eagle:Desktop postgres$ ls -al /usr/lib/libcrypto*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2043536 Dec 10 04:53 /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2681408 Dec 10 04:53 /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4209728 Dec 10 04:53 /usr/lib/libcrypto.35.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       21 Sep 24 13:20 /usr/lib/libcrypto.dylib -> libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib

The config.log file for 9.3.2 passes the test.

And for the 9.3.2 image:
eagle:Desktop postgres$ otool -L /usr/local/bin/postgres
/usr/local/bin/postgres:
    /usr/lib/libssl.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 50.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 50.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1197.1.1)
eagle:Desktop postgres$

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jerry

Re: [GENERAL] configure can't find libcrypto on MacOS Sierra for pg9.6.2

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/12/2017 06:56 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to build pg 9.6.2 on my MacOS Sierra but
> configure is being balky
>
> configure:9494: checking for CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto
> configure:9519: gcc -o conftest -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Wendif-labels-Wmissing-for
> mat-attribute -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -Wno-unused-command-line-argument -O2     conftest.c
-lcrypto -lz -ledi
> t -lm  >&5
> ld: library not found for -lcrypto
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> configure:9519: $? = 1
>
> but libcrypto is present:
> eagle:Desktop postgres$ ls -al /usr/lib/libcrypto*
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2043536 Dec 10 04:53 /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2681408 Dec 10 04:53 /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4209728 Dec 10 04:53 /usr/lib/libcrypto.35.dylib
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       21 Sep 24 13:20 /usr/lib/libcrypto.dylib -> libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
>
> The config.log file for 9.3.2 passes the test.
>
> And for the 9.3.2 image:
> eagle:Desktop postgres$ otool -L /usr/local/bin/postgres
> /usr/local/bin/postgres:
>     /usr/lib/libssl.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 50.0.0)
>     /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 50.0.0)
>     /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1197.1.1)
> eagle:Desktop postgres$
>
> Any suggestions?

Not a suggestion, but a question:

What are the full command line invocations to configure for 9.3 and 9.6?

Now a suggestion, do you have the openssl devel package installed?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] configure can't find libcrypto on MacOS Sierra for pg 9.6.2

Date:
Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello, I am trying to build pg 9.6.2 on my MacOS Sierra but
> configure is being balky

Hmm, I'm not really sure why it's failing at that step --- it gets past
that for me.  Possibly looking into config.log to see if there's a more
detailed error report would be illuminating.  However, trying to build
against Apple's openssl libraries is a lost cause anyway, because they
removed the header files in Sierra.  So it will fail when it gets to
header file checks; where it stops for me is

checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
configure: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for OpenSSL

AFAIK the only way forward is to install a complete OpenSSL installation
from source, or using MacPorts or brew or other tool-of-choice.

Apple would really like people to start using their SSL infrastructure.
That handwriting has been on the wall for years, but nobody's gotten
around to writing the necessary interface logic for Postgres.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] configure can't find libcrypto on MacOS Sierra for pg9.6.2

From
Jerry LeVan
Date:
Sigh,

I will try to build without OpenSSL…

My database is seventeen years old, I don’t even remember
which Postgresql I started out with...

Jerry

Date:
On 02/12/2017 12:39 PM, Jerry LeVan wrote:
> Sigh,
>
> I will try to build without OpenSSL…

I am not a Mac user, but from the below it does not seem that difficult
to get around Apples decision:

https://solitum.net/openssl-os-x-el-capitan-and-brew/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 02/12/2017 12:39 PM, Jerry LeVan wrote:
> Sigh,
>
> I will try to build without OpenSSL…

Of course there is another option, prebuilt binaries:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com