Re: OK, lets talk portability. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: OK, lets talk portability.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 09:12, Dave Page wrote:

> Agreed. I develop pgAdmin using cygwin/postgresql on my laptop and quite
> frankly it's a pain in the neck. I did notice when playing with MySQL
> recently that it appears to use Cygwin, though *only* the .dll, there is
> no installation of Cygwin required. Perhaps if we could get to roughly
> that stage it would be good. Of course we'd also need a few things from
> /bin like sh for example.

Are you sure sh and friends are absolutely needed ?

I'm sure we can replace most scripts with .bat files or just do without
them (tell peole to use CREATE DATABSE instead of createdb, etc.)

And instead of initdb we could just install ready-made $PGSQL/data
directory.

Hannu