Re: [JDBC] unlink large objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [JDBC] unlink large objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Philip Crotwell <crotwell@seis.sc.edu> writes:
> I was vacuuming, but as the owner of the database. When I do that there
> are messages that should have clued me in, lke
> NOTICE:  Skipping "pg_largeobject" --- only table owner can VACUUM it

> From now on I will vacuum as user postgres, but I wonder if there is a
> need for individual users to be able to vacuum large obects by themselves.

Good point.  More generally, it seems like it might be a good idea to
allow the owner of an individual database to vacuum all the system
catalogs in it, even if he's not the superuser.  Comments anyone?

> Also, when the disk is nearly full, I am seeing the database crash while
> trying to vacuum.

From WAL log overflow, no doubt.  If you look in the pgsql-patches
archives from the last week or two, there is a patch to alleviate the
growth of the log.