Re: refactoring basebackup.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From tushar
Subject Re: refactoring basebackup.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/19/21 8:29 PM, Dilip Kumar wrote:
> I am not sure why this is working, from the code I could not find if
> the backup target is server then are we doing anything with the -R
> option or we are just silently ignoring it

OK, in an  another scenario  I can see , "-t server" working with
"--server-compression" option  but not with -z  or -Z ?

"-t  server" with option "-z"  / or (-Z )

[tushar@localhost bin]$ ./pg_basebackup -t server:/tmp/dataN -Xnone  -z
--no-manifest -p 9033
pg_basebackup: error: only tar mode backups can be compressed
Try "pg_basebackup --help" for more information.

tushar@localhost bin]$ ./pg_basebackup -t server:/tmp/dataNa -Z 1
-Xnone  --server-compression=gzip4  --no-manifest -p 9033
pg_basebackup: error: only tar mode backups can be compressed
Try "pg_basebackup --help" for more information.

"-t server" with "server-compression"  (working)

[tushar@localhost bin]$ ./pg_basebackup -t server:/tmp/dataN -Xnone
--server-compression=gzip4  --no-manifest -p 9033
NOTICE:  WAL archiving is not enabled; you must ensure that all required
WAL segments are copied through other means to complete the backup
[tushar@localhost bin]$

--
regards,tushar
EnterpriseDB  https://www.enterprisedb.com/