Re: refactoring basebackup.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dilip Kumar
Subject Re: refactoring basebackup.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 6:02 PM tushar <tushar.ahuja@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 7/16/21 12:43 PM, Dilip Kumar wrote:
> > I think the problem is that bbsink_gzip_end_archive() is not
> > forwarding the end request to the next bbsink.  The attached patch so
> > fix it.
>
> Thanks Dilip. Reported issue seems to be fixed now with your patch

Thanks for the confirmation.

> Please refer this scenario ,where -R option is working with '-t server'
> but not with -Ft
>
> --not working
>
> [edb@centos7tushar bin]$ ./pg_basebackup --server-compression=gzip4
> -Ft  -D ccv   -Xnone  -R --no-manifest
> pg_basebackup: error: unable to parse archive: base.tar.gz
> pg_basebackup: only tar archives can be parsed
> pg_basebackup: the -R option requires pg_basebackup to parse the archive
> pg_basebackup: removing data directory "ccv"

As per the error message and code, if we are giving -R then we need to
inject recovery-conf file and that is only supported with tar format
but since you are enabling server compression which is no more .tar
format so it is giving an error.

> --working
>
> [edb@centos7tushar bin]$ ./pg_basebackup --server-compression=gzip4 -t
> server:/tmp/ccv    -Xnone  -R --no-manifest
> NOTICE:  all required WAL segments have been archived
> [edb@centos7tushar bin]$

I am not sure why this is working, from the code I could not find if
the backup target is server then are we doing anything with the -R
option or we are just silently ignoring it

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar