Re: t1000/t2000 sun-servers - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Guido Neitzer
Subject Re: t1000/t2000 sun-servers
Date
Re: t1000/t2000 sun-servers
List pgsql-performance
On 06.03.2006, at 21:10 Uhr, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:

> Like migrate all your postgresql databases to one T2000. You might
> see that your average response time may not be faster but it can
> handle probably all your databases migrated to one T2000.
>
> In essence, your single thread performance will not speed up on Sun
> Fire T2000  but you can certainly use it to replace all your
> individual postgresql servers in your organization or see higher
> scalability in terms of number of users handled with 1 server with
> Sun Fire T2000.

How good is a pgbench test for evaluating things like this? I have
used it to compare several machines, operating systems and PostgreSQL
versions - but it was more or less just out of curiosity. The real
evaluation was made with "real life tests" - mostly scripts which
also tested the application server itself.

But as it was it's easy to compare several machines with pgbench, I
just did the tests and they were interesting and reflected the real
world not as bad as I had thought from a "benchmark".

So, personally I'm interested in a simple pgbench test - perhaps with
some more ( > 50) clients simulated ...

cug

Attachment