Re: t1000/t2000 sun-servers - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: t1000/t2000 sun-servers
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:24:29PM +0100, Guido Neitzer wrote:
> On 06.03.2006, at 21:10 Uhr, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:
>
> >Like migrate all your postgresql databases to one T2000. You might
> >see that your average response time may not be faster but it can
> >handle probably all your databases migrated to one T2000.
> >
> >In essence, your single thread performance will not speed up on Sun
> >Fire T2000  but you can certainly use it to replace all your
> >individual postgresql servers in your organization or see higher
> >scalability in terms of number of users handled with 1 server with
> >Sun Fire T2000.
>
> How good is a pgbench test for evaluating things like this? I have
> used it to compare several machines, operating systems and PostgreSQL
> versions - but it was more or less just out of curiosity. The real
> evaluation was made with "real life tests" - mostly scripts which
> also tested the application server itself.
>
> But as it was it's easy to compare several machines with pgbench, I
> just did the tests and they were interesting and reflected the real
> world not as bad as I had thought from a "benchmark".
>
> So, personally I'm interested in a simple pgbench test - perhaps with
> some more ( > 50) clients simulated ...

I had the opportunity to do some dbt2 testing on Solaris and Sun
hardware; it's probably your best bet for a test. You'll need to
essentially fit the database into memory though, otherwise you'll be
completely I/O bound. Another issue is that currently the test framework
runs on the same machine as the database, so it's not very realistic in
that regard, but if you were to change that dependancy I'm pretty sure
OSBC would gratefully accept patches.