Help with functions (Never mind) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Patrick Bye (WFF)
Subject Help with functions (Never mind)
Date
List pgsql-general
Never mind my previous note.  I rtfm'd and found out I was mixing my Oracle
PL/SQL and postgres with regards to the end command.

I'm having trouble trying to create a function.  I'm new to functions and
I'm trying to figure them out but I can't even get something simple like
this to work.  I believe I should be able to do 'SELECT getprice('text1',
'text2', 'text3', 'text4') as price' but all I get in PGAdmin tool is syntax
error near getprice.  Is my SELECT statement wrong or my function.  I did a
createlang on plpgsql before I started.  I'm running 7.2.4.

CREATE FUNCTION getprice(text, text, text, text) RETURNS float8 AS 'DECLARE
   v_itemnum ALIAS FOR $1;
   v_custnum ALIAS FOR $2;
   v_pcid ALIAS FOR $3;
   v_branch ALIAS FOR $4;