Re: wal-debug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: wal-debug
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:11:37AM -0800, Munteanu Gabriel wrote:
> I am asking to improve performace.
> Can you explain me how WAL improves performance.
> ex:
> a query lasts 1 second when WAL would be disabled
> if it is enabled how WAL improves performance?
> What does it do?

Please read this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=wal.html

The upshot that it doesn't need to write as much to disk to commit a
transaction and those write are sequential instead of scattered across the
disk.

What are you doing that makes you think WAL is bad?
> Support bacteria! They're the only culture some people have.

Attachment