Re: Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Henry C.
Subject Re: Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table
Date
List pgsql-general
Forgot to mention:  I'm using 9.0.3

> Usually a manual vacuum cancels a running autovacuum task.

Not in my case - however, the autovac does seem to be in a waiting state.

> You should find a notice about the cancelation in th logfile.
>
> > current_query | vacuum analyze
> > age           | 11:46:57.245568
>
> Where is the age column from?
> It's not in pg_stat_activity.

age(now(), query_start)

>> Is one of the two processes waiting=t in pg_stat_activity?

ah, there it is.  Yes, the autovac is waiting.

>> > I'm trying to vacuum the table as quickly as possible so a manual
>> > vacuum seems to be in order as my understanding (and experience)
>> > is that the autovac is a hell of a lot slower to mitigate impact
>> > on general performance.
>>
>> Tune the autovacuum settings, especially the scale factors of the
>> tables in question and the cost limit.
>> Is autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit != -1 ?
>> This could be one reason, why manual vacuum is faster.

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit is on default (-1).