Re: Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Henry C.
Subject Re: Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table
Date
Re: Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table
Re: Autovacuum firing up during my manual vacuum on same table
List pgsql-general
On Sat, April 2, 2011 14:17, Jens Wilke wrote:
> Nevertheless since at least 8.4 IMO there's no need to bother with
> manual vacuum any more.

Sadly, in my case, the db is so busy that autovac processes run for weeks and
never catch up (insufficient h/w for the app quite frankly - the addition of
some more SSD drives have already helped).  I eventually run up against the
wraparound wall and the only way forward is to stop everything and
dump/restore (vacuuming the entire db would take an unknown period of N x
weeks - dumping/restoring completes in a day or two).

I really wish the xid was 64 bits instead of 32, but that's another topic
entirely.

Cheers
Henry