Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option in Makefile.global - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeremy Schneider
Subject Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option in Makefile.global
Date
In response to Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option in Makefile.global  (Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org>)
Responses RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option in Makefile.global  ("Fensterman, John P" <John.Fensterman@charter.com>)
Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option in Makefile.global  (Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org>)
List pgsql-bugs
On 1/15/24 7:23 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
>> used a different major version of clang than you're using to compile
>> your extension, it may have some compiler flags that your compiler
>> doesn't like.  I guess that problem is more general than LLVM, though?
>
> Hmm, so does it mean that I need to rebuild (almost) every extension
> that has llvmjit subpackage each time when RHEL releases a new LLVM
> version?

I've been chatting w John over slack about this too, not closely
involved but I've been trying to be helpful if I can

My understanding is that the problem is with PGXS and the
temporal_tables extension, which is not already-built & available as an RPM.

I'd think we wouldn't need to rebuild extensions that are available as
RPMs. Isn't the problem basically that PGXS preserves all the compiler
settings in Makefile.global that were used to build Postgres on the
build machine, and that someone who builds an extension later might not
have a matching environment to that Postgres RPM build environment?

While it's far from ideal, I think the right short-term workaround for
John is to manually edit Makefile.global to remove the problematic clang
flags and hopefully this doesn't "void the warranty" when he builds the
temporal tables extension, right?

(I assume temporal_tables is not available as a pre-built RPM)

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider