Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Tesser
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments
Date
List pgsql-general
hi,

<huge snip>

> Maybe there's not such a need for the advanced features of PostgreSQL
> amongst PHP programmers as you seem to believe. Most of the PHP stuff I've
> seen is read-only content display stuff and that doesn't really require a
> top-notch RDBMS; a more limited database should also be up to the job. For
> complex transactional web applications, J2EE/Model II is a far superior
> technology to scripts/Model I and that means a different target audience
> for the apps where PostgreSQL can offer those essential extra features.
> Whilst most J2EE developers will be using Oracle/DB2/MSSQL as their
> back-end, the awareness of PostgreSQL seems quite high and, in the few
>  usenet groups I monitor, I don't recall anyone being flamed for
> recommending PostgreSQL over MySQL. Maybe seasoned, professional
> developers don't like being told that they're crap programmers just
> because they ask for something as fundamental as referential integrity!

I completely disagree.  I do a lot of programming with PHP and the features
of Postgres come in handy.  Let me give you an example of just some
basic things.  Triggers!  Why should I have to write insert and update
triggers in the logic (PHP) if I can handle it at the database level.  Sql
is 10x as fast as the language.  Better to handle what you can at the database
level.  Same with views and stored procedures.  MySQL cannot even handle
sub-queries yet. I also use Python for standalone interfaces to the data.
Why should I not be able to use the same views and triggers etc  in there
that I use for my web apps.  PHP is quite powerful if used correctly.
Java has its own issues and I am not sure it is as far supiour as you
are claming it is.  But that is not for this dscussion.  MySQL may be more
popular with (cheap) web hosting places but that doesn't mean it is the best
or that Postgres wouldn't serve better even in this area.  I am glad
to see the article written for PHP mag as Postgres would help alot of PHP guys that are using MySQL.

<another snip>