Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Fabio Pardi
Subject Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case
Date
List pgsql-performance
As already mentioned by Robert, please let us know if you made sure that
nothing was fished from RAM, over the faster test.

In other words, make sure that all caches are dropped between one test
and another.

Also,to better picture the situation, would be good to know:

- which SSD (brand/model) are you using?
- which HDD?
- how are the disks configured? RAID? or not?
- on which OS?
- what are the mount options? SSD requires tuning
- did you make sure that no other query was running at the time of the
bench?
- are you making a comparison on the same machine?
- is it HW or VM? benchs should better run on bare metal to avoid
results pollution (eg: other VMS on the same hypervisor using the disk,
host caching and so on)
- how many times did you run the tests?
- did you change postgres configuration over tests?
- can you post postgres config?
- what about vacuums or maintenance tasks running in the background?

Also, to benchmark disks i would not use a custom query but pgbench.

Be aware: running benchmarks is a science, therefore needs a scientific
approach :)

regards

fabio pardi