Re: MultiXact\SLRU buffers configuration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey Borodin
Subject Re: MultiXact\SLRU buffers configuration
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On 20 Feb 2022, at 02:42, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
> On 2022-02-20 10:38:53 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> Back to this patch: assuming we can settle on a good-enough-for-now
>> replacement algorithm, do we want to add this set of 7 GUCs?  Does
>> anyone else want to weigh in on that?
>
> I'm -0.2 on it, given that we have a better path forward.
That’s a really good path forward, but it's discussed at least for 3.5 years[0]. And guaranteed not to be there until
2023.Gilles, Shawn, Dmitry expressed their opinion in lines with that the patch “is a must-have” referring to real
pathologicalperformance degradation inflicted by SLRU cache starvation. And I can remember dozen of other incidents
thatwould not happen if the patch was applied, e.g. this post is referring to the patch as a cure [1].

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20180814213500.GA74618%4060f81dc409fc.ant.amazon.com
[1]
https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2021/09/29/why-we-spent-the-last-month-eliminating-postgresql-subtransactions/#what-can-we-do-about-getting-rid-of-nessie