Re: JDBC and long TEXT fields - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Bryan \(Mailing Lists\)
Subject Re: JDBC and long TEXT fields
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Looking at the User's Guide, Chapter 3, Character Types:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/x1069.htm

It describes char, char(n), text, and varchar(n).

char is described as "single character"
char(n) is described as "fixed length"
text is described as "variable-length"
varchar(n) is described as "variable-length with limit"

Since three out of four of these types are described as having limits, my
interpretation is that the TEXT type does not have any limit. Evidently that
was a faulty assumption on my part, but the docs could stand to be a little
more clear.

Docs aside, I'm looking for a data type that will hold lengthy stings, > 8k.
Evidently a blob is what I need to use? But I don't see blobs listed as a
data type under Table 3-1, "Postgres Data Types".

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/datatype.htm

More direction would be appreciated..

Thanks again in advance,
Bryan