JDBC performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith L. Musser
Subject JDBC performance
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm new to PostgreSQL.  I'm using JDBC7.0-1.2.jar and PostgreSQL 6.5.2.

Just to understand performance, I'm running a set of repeated queries on
the same data, selecting one row by primary key.  I'm running them as
fast as the CPU can go.  I'm finding that for these simple queries on an
indexed table, my CPU spends about 60% of the time in JDBC, and about
40% of the time in the postmaster backend.

(Each query takes 2 msec on my machine, RH Linux 6.2, 733 MHz Intel, w/
lots of memory.)

I was hoping the client-side overhead would be less.

(a) Any hints on getting good performance when using JDBC?
(b) How much better is the client-side overhead if I were using C
instead of Java?
(c) Do many of you use Java to access PGSQL?

Keith L. Musser
Integrated Dynamics, Inc.
812-371-7777
email:  kmusser@idisys.com