Re: pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Poole
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 08:45:04AM -0500, ShaneMRyan wrote:
> I am trying to use this tool called Zeos Database explorer.  Everytime I
> try to connect to my postgresql RedHat 6.2 box, it tells me that there is
> no entry in my pg_hba.conf file so that the program has permissions to
> talk with the database.  There are some samples in that file, but they
> aren't working for me.  Would someone that has this working email me a
> sample entry that would allow everyone from any IP address to connect to
> the database?  Thanks!

You want something like:

host        all        0.0.0.0            0.0.0.0            trust

although this of course insecure because it allows literally anyone
from anywhere. If you know you'll be coming from somewhere on your
own network you're safer with something like:

host        all        192.168.1.0        255.255.255.0    trust

where 192.168.1/24 is your network. Be aware that the first matching
line in pg_hba.conf will be used, so if you have a "reject" line
above your "trust" line you may get rejected and not be able to see
why. There's a useful section about all of this in Chapter 8 of the
Administrator's Guide:

http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/admin/security.htm

or if you're using 6.5.3:

http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/6.5/admin/security.htm