Re: Expectations of MEM requirements for a DB with - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yann Ramin
Subject Re: Expectations of MEM requirements for a DB with
Date
List pgsql-general
Thats very true.  FreeBSD is a little smarter, and actualy kills a runaway
process if it allocates more memory than is available.  It of course tries to
page things in and out of swap first, hoping the high memory condition will
soon resolve its self.  FreeBSD is also one of the only OSes I've seen that
kick processes (idle ones, i.e., cron, getty, etc) out of memory for kernel
buffers and disk cache to improve preformance for busier ones.

Yann

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000, you (Robert D. Nelson) might of written:
> Actually, I was watching this convo on another message board. When linux
> hits low memory situations (i.e. none) it thrashes for far longer than it
> should have to, just to free some up. In this way, NT and other OS's are
> much better - they can run with no memory available, very slowly, but
> without waiting 2 hours for processes to time out. For all intents and
> purposes, you will get your box back quicker with linux by rebooting than
> waiting a few hours for it to respond. I'm not posting that here as a
> gripe, but to support the guy who said it "crashed".
>

> Rob Nelson
> rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

Yann Ramin            atrus@atrustrivalie.eu.org
Atrus Trivalie Productions    www.redshift.com/~yramin
AIM                oddatrus
Marina, CA            http://profiles.yahoo.com/theatrus

IRM Developer                   Network Toaster Developer
SNTS Developer                  KLevel Developer
Electronics Hobbyist        person who loves toys

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

"I'm prepared for all emergencies but totally unprepared for everyday
life."