RE: Remote Connection Help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason L. Amerson
Subject RE: Remote Connection Help
Date
List pgsql-general

Steve,

I cannot connect to the server by “psql -h xx.xx.xx.xx.” I can connect to my Ubuntu machine from other computers using SSH and I can connect to PostgreSQL if I SSH first. But I cannot connect directly to PostgreSQL either through a client machine or if I run “psql -h xx.xx.xx.xx” while using my Ubuntu machine.

Jason L. Amerson

From: Jason L. Amerson <drjason@alphagenius.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 09:22 AM
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org>
Subject: Remote Connection Help

I am at a loss for what to do. I have read article after article about how to allow remote connections on my PostgreSQL server and none of what the articles say do, worked for me. I have edited the “postgresql.conf” file and changed “listen_address = ‘localhost’ to listen_address = ‘*’. I have even tried it commented out and uncommented and I get the same results. I also edited the “pg_hba.conf” file and added the following at the end of the file:

host all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5

host all all ::/0 md5

After that I restart the server, try to connect remotely, and I get nowhere. I have even added the following rules to my iptables:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 0/0 --sport 1024:65535 -d xx.xx.xx.xx  --dport 5432 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -s xx.xx.xx.xx --sport 5432 -d 0/0 --dport 1024:65535 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

My computer that is running the server is Ubuntu and it has a static IP. I am trying to connect remotely with computers running Windows 10 using the static IP. When I run pgAdmin from my Windows 10 machine, or use the command line to connect, I get the following error:

unable to connect to server:

could not connect to server: Connection refused (Ox0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host " xx.xx.xx.xx" and accepting

TCP/IP connections on port 5432'

I would like to be able to connect to my Ubuntu PostgreSQL server from all Windows 10 machines as well as from a client on my Android phone while away from home. That is my goal now. I am hoping that someone can help me to get this working. This is been very frustrating.

Attachment