Re: Tablespace setup issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Tablespace setup issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/21/19 8:59 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-11-21 at 08:54 -0600, Ron wrote:
>>> Don't create tablespaces.
>>> Stick with the default tablespace.
>> Why?
> Because you won't need them.
>
> Tablespaces have a limited number of use cases:
> - Distribute I/O across several devices (you can do the same
>    on a lower level using striping).
> - Put some tables or indexes faster and some on slower storage.
> - Provide a size limit for a table or a database.
> - Have your temporary files on a different file system.
>
> In a virtualized environment, you never want tablespaces.

After adding another 350GB to the data/base filesystem, the storage team
said that the virtual LUN on our ESX host is full.  No more expansion of
this database until and unless they create a new LUN (on storage replicated
to a different DC using SRM).

Thus, to enlarge the database on this VM, we either...

1. create a tablespace on a different (modest sized) LUN, or
2. create a completely new 10TB LUN and migrate the whole db (including
backups) to that new LUN.

Honestly, using a new tablespace seems simpler.