Issues with PostgreSQL Source Code Installation

From
Ayush Vatsa
Date:
Hi PostgreSQL Community,

I am encountering an issue while trying to install PostgreSQL from its source code and would appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Here are the steps I've taken so far:
sudo yum install libicu-devel
git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
./configure --enable-tap-tests --prefix=`pwd`/build
make world-bin

However, during the make world-bin process, I am encountering the following errors:

/usr/bin/ld: commands/collationcmds.o: in function `pg_import_system_collations':
collationcmds.c:(.text+0xeed): undefined reference to `uloc_countAvailable_73'
/usr/bin/ld: collationcmds.c:(.text+0xf0a): undefined reference to `uloc_getAvailable_73'
/usr/bin/ld: collationcmds.c:(.text+0xfc6): undefined reference to `uloc_getDisplayName_73'
/usr/bin/ld: regex/regcomp.o: in function `pg_wc_isalpha':
regcomp.c:(.text+0xe41): undefined reference to `u_isalpha_73'
/usr/bin/ld: regex/regcomp.o: in function `pg_wc_isspace':
regcomp.c:(.text+0xef1): undefined reference to `u_isspace_73'
/usr/bin/ld: regex/regcomp.o: in function `pg_wc_isdigit':
regcomp.c:(.text+0x1031): undefined reference to `u_isdigit_73'
/usr/bin/ld: regex/regcomp.o: in function `pg_wc_isalnum':
regcomp.c:(.text+0x10e1): undefined reference to `u_isalnum_73'
/usr/bin/ld: regex/regcomp.o: in function `pg_wc_isgraph':
regcomp.c:(.text+0x1c81): undefined reference to `u_isgraph_73'
/usr/bin/ld: regex/regcomp.o: in function `pg_wc_isupper':
regcomp.c:(.text+0x1d31): undefined reference to `u_isupper_73'
/usr/bin/ld: regex/regcomp.o: in function `pg_wc_islower':

I have ICU version 73.1 installed, which I confirmed with: icu-config --version
My ~/.zshrc file looks like:

export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/local/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include"
export PATH="/usr/lib64/icu:$PATH"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib64:/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

Output for: sudo find / -name libicui18n.so
/usr/lib64/libicui18n.so

I am using:
Linux kernel version: 6.1.106-116.188.amzn2023.x86_64
Architecture: x86_64

Regards
Ayush

Re: Issues with PostgreSQL Source Code Installation

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 9/24/24 04:14, Ayush Vatsa wrote:
> Hi PostgreSQL Community,
>
> I am encountering an issue while trying to install PostgreSQL from its
> source code and would appreciate any guidance you can provide.
> Here are the steps I've taken so far:
> sudo yum install libicu-devel
> git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git

Why are you building against the repo instead  of a fixed version from
here?:

https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

> <http://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git>
> ./configure --enable-tap-tests --prefix=`pwd`/build

Did you checkout a given tag?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
> Why are you building against the repo instead  of a fixed version from
> here?:
So actually I wanted to modify and playaround with the code,
hence I am using the github repo and building postgres from it.

> Did you checkout a given tag?
I haven't checkout on any branch and currently
on branch master where I am trying to build postgres

Date:
On 9/24/24 09:32, Ayush Vatsa wrote:
>  > Why are you building against the repo instead  of a fixed version from
>  > here?:
> So actually I wanted to modify and playaround with the code,
> hence I am using the github repo and building postgres from it.
>
>  > Did you checkout a given tag?
> I haven't checkout on any branch and currently
> on branch master where I am trying to build postgres

Well I would imagine that could be at any state and not necessarily one
that could be built.

I would go to the source link I posted download a specific version and
verify it builds. Then you know whether your setup is correct. Then you
could go back to exploring the Git code.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
> I would go to the source link I posted download a specific version and
> verify it builds. Then you know whether your setup is correct. Then you
> could go back to exploring the Git code.
Thanks will check that out

Re: Issues with PostgreSQL Source Code Installation

Date:
Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810@gmail.com> writes:
> So actually I wanted to modify and playaround with the code,
> hence I am using the github repo and building postgres from it.

Seems reasonable.  The tip of master branch is occasionally broken,
but seldom for very long, and none of our buildfarm animals are
reporting failures like this.  It looks to me like there is something
wrong with your libicu installation --- perhaps headers out of sync
with shared library?

            regards, tom lane