Re: Obsolete comment in pg_stat_statements

Date:
Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
> While adapting in pg_stat_kcache the fix for buggy nesting level calculation, I
> noticed that one comment referencing the old approach was missed.  Trivial
> patch attached.

Hmm ... I agree that para is out of date, but is there anything to
salvage rather than just delete it?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Obsolete comment in pg_stat_statements

From
Julien Rouhaud
Date:
On Sat, 14 Sept 2024, 12:39 Tom Lane, <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
> While adapting in pg_stat_kcache the fix for buggy nesting level calculation, I
> noticed that one comment referencing the old approach was missed.  Trivial
> patch attached.

Hmm ... I agree that para is out of date, but is there anything to
salvage rather than just delete it?

I thought about it but I think that now that knowledge is in the else branch, with the mention that we still have to bump the nesting level even if it's not locally handled.

Re: Obsolete comment in pg_stat_statements

Date:
Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, 14 Sept 2024, 12:39 Tom Lane, <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hmm ... I agree that para is out of date, but is there anything to
>> salvage rather than just delete it?

> I thought about it but I think that now that knowledge is in the else
> branch, with the mention that we still have to bump the nesting level even
> if it's not locally handled.

After sleeping on it I looked again, and I think you're right,
there's no useful knowledge remaining in this para.  Pushed.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sat, 14 Sept 2024, 23:44 Tom Lane, <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, 14 Sept 2024, 12:39 Tom Lane, <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hmm ... I agree that para is out of date, but is there anything to
>> salvage rather than just delete it?

> I thought about it but I think that now that knowledge is in the else
> branch, with the mention that we still have to bump the nesting level even
> if it's not locally handled.

After sleeping on it I looked again, and I think you're right,
there's no useful knowledge remaining in this para.  Pushed.

thanks!