Re: Parallel workers stats in pg_stat_database

From
Bertrand Drouvot
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, Sep 03, 2024 at 02:34:06PM +0200, Benoit Lobréau wrote:
> I noticed that the tests are still not stable. I tried using tenk2
> but fail to have stable plans. I'd love to have pointers on that front.

What about moving the tests to places where it's "guaranteed" to get
parallel workers involved? For example, a "parallel_maint_workers" only test
could be done in vacuum_parallel.sql.

Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: Parallel workers stats in pg_stat_database

From
Benoit Lobréau
Date:
On 9/4/24 08:46, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:> What about moving the tests to
places where it's "guaranteed" to get
> parallel workers involved? For example, a "parallel_maint_workers" only test
> could be done in vacuum_parallel.sql.

Thank you ! I was too focussed on the stat part and missed the obvious.
It's indeed better with this file.

... Which led me to discover that the area I choose to gather my stats
is wrong (parallel_vacuum_end), it only traps workers allocated for
parallel_vacuum_cleanup_all_indexes() and not
parallel_vacuum_bulkdel_all_indexes().

Back to the drawing board...

--
Benoit Lobréau